Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Back in the habit

For whatever reason I have been lax in regards to this blog as of late. I need to get back in the habit of writing nearly every day. I have been very busy of late. I am in the middle of reorganising the structure of discipline at the school and more importantly enforcing said rules. Very often rules and decrees are made with little to no enforcement in Indonesia.

This week marks the anniversary of the beginning of the revolution for Indonesian independence from the Netherlands so we are celebrating Indonesia and its diversity throughout the week. Yesterday I was part of a play where I needed to speak entirely in Bahasa Indonesian. I was busy all week and always had meetings when rehearsals took place so I only had about 1 day to memorize my lines. Unfortunately my abilities are only just when it comes to speaking Bahasa. I can communicate well and understand quite a lot. However I am by no means proficient. Indonesian has a formal language which is far from the informal speak that is more often used in everyday life. Very often I receive formal papers at my apartment or at the school that even my Indonesian friends cannot understand. That is how far removed formal Indonesian is from everyday life. I understood the vast majority of my lines... but there was certain words which I could hardly pronounce much less understand.

Lets just say at the last minute I had some doubts and decided to have a little help....



No comments:

Post a Comment